Saturday, March 03, 2007

Making Memories


I was talking to Marky the other day about making home-made bread. He said that I was making memories for my kids. I didn't think anything of that comment until Ashton ate some of it, and said, "Mommy, I like this bread!"
It made me think of my memories of home-made bread.
I must say the first memory I have is the smell of my great grandma's rolls. I remember going to her house and she always had those when we were there. I remember loving the taste of those rolls.
I also thought of Richard's home-made bread, which is now the recipe I use. We would all see Richard go into the kitchen, pull out the kitchen-aid, and we would all look at each other knowing that we would soon have home-made bread. As it was rising we would ask if it was time to put it into the oven. (I am sure Richard got annoyed with us asking all the time.) Then when he did put it in the oven we could smell it cooking. It smells so good. We could not wait for it to cool down enough to eat it. Within minutes the first loaf was gone or close to gone. (As you can see that has not changed....our first loaf was almost gone the first day.)
One more thing I remember about that is...if my mom wasn't home Richard would always tell us to save the heel of the bread for her. He knew how much she liked it. I always thought that was so sweet.

These memories make me hope that home-made bread will be a memory for my kids and that they will make memories with their kids.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Darbi said...

I like the way your making memories. Aren't you glad that Richard taught you to make bread and not your mother. I guess I can take credit on teaching you how to shop. Ha! Ha!